Finchairn Cottage is closed for three weeks while we put in a new walk in shower and a few other alterations. So you will now not have to step up into the shower any more!! While up there last night stripping beds I took a picture of the sunset with no filters added, as it was! We have had some amazing weather this september.
We are in the process of building a new boat house on Sandy Loch on Ederline Estate. This will have a little room to the back with a log burner and barbecue. An ideal location for holiday cottage guests to meet up for lunch when hill loch fishing for the wild brown trout.
We hope to have it completed by the beginning of August 2104.
Fishing flies and tackle can be bought locally at Fyne Tackle in Lochgilphead.
The remains of a medieval parish church on Ederline Estate, north of Kilmartin Glen, dedicated to St Columba, with an oratory close by stand in the churchyard which was still in use as a burial ground at the end of the 19th century.
Of fine workmanship, the church is longer than is usual in the area, with two doors on the south side. There is a damaged table-tomb north of the altar site and a piscina with a trefoil arch. A font, now erected at the west end, was found in three parts nearby. Inside, to the east of the nave door, is a sandstone block bearing a now almost invisible five-toed print with nails on three of the toes and which is referred to as ’the Devil’s hand’.
The church is said to have succeeded Killevin (NR 986 972) as the principal church of the Lordship of Glassary until, in the mid-16th century, the centre of the parish was moved to Kilmichael Glassary (NR 859 935). There is a tradition that the stones for the church were brought from Killevin and that no dressing was required, which suggests that the stones of Killevin church were re-used.
The name ’Kilneuair’ which is applied to the site (Kilnewir, 1394; Killenevir, 1490; Killenure, 1671) suggests an earlier church, and an older, roughly circular enclosure can be traced inside the churchyard wall, especially on the west and north.
Campbell and Sandeman (1964) translates ’Kilneuair’ as ’Coille-nan-Iubhair’, ie ’Yew Wood’ and suggests that this may be the Columbian site ’Cella Diuni’ mentioned by Adomnan, which was certainly in the Loch Awe area and has not hitherto been identified.
There are many carved stones in the churchyard, but no very early ones are obvious, although, near the gate, a millstone sunk in the grass may have served as a cross base.
A village once lay round the church and a market, called ’A’ Margadh Dubh’ – ’the Black Market’ – perhaps in contrast to the gaiety of Kilmichael Tryst, was held here. There are a few house ruins outside the graveyard.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1854; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.
The remains of the church and burial ground are as described. The church measures 21.1 by 5.7 metres internally within walls 0.8 metres thick and standing to a height of 4 metres. The oratory measures 3.3 by 2.2 metres internally within walls 0.5 metres thick and 2 metres high. There are two medieval carved grave-slabs in the burial ground. The footings of several buildings of indeterminate age survive to the west of the burial ground.
Mosi has been with us for four days now. She came from Katie Cropper at Shap in Cumbria. Both good working parents so I have no excuses! We will now have three in the team of Border Collies!
Training will start in 6 months time!!
The first osprey has arrived from Africa to Ederline today!! They have nested on Loch Ederline now for about 8 years with a good success rate. They have raised on average two young a year who have fledged and migrated back to Africa in the early autumn.
We are waiting for his mate to join him in the next few days. He will be busy nest repairing after all the winter storms. A wonderful site to see him back!